Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Predator

There should be rain tonight, it feels like.  The air outside is a predator, still and waiting outside my window for me to stand up from my chair so it can hit me with some emotion I haven't quite placed, like a murmur in my malfunctioning heart that tells me things I shouldn't know.  A frown and a laugh are all I have to offer, wondering just where the words come from and whether I was on to something when I knocked on that door, looking for the vocalist who was singing so beautifully in her sleep.

There it is again; that whisper... or is it a hum?  Somehow it says to me that something's not done, or something's not right.  Somewhere out there a man cries himself to sleep with a bottle of whiskey and a torn picture of what he'll never have.  And here I am, locked alone in the quiet and helpless to help... hopeless to hope.  Doomed to sleep and forget it all, turning instead to my own desires.

No comments: