Friday, July 10, 2009

the Web's secret stories



Continuing with TED Talks, yesterday I found what I will not hesitate to say is the most amazing thing I have ever seen on the internet. Artist and computer scientist Jonathan Harris gave the above TED Talks presentation in 2007, talking about how he mines data about the human condition from the internet and uses it to create beautiful infographics to show the state of humanity. To me, the coolest of his creations is We Feel Fine, which mines "I feel" statements from tens of thousands of blogs every day, categorizes them, and even assigns photos to them.

At the end of the day, despite all my varied interests, I find that the thing I am most passionate about is the expression of truth. Showing the real human condition in accessible and gripping ways. And this, along with Harris's other projects, is that.

1 comment:

Tasha said...

Entirely amazing. The most amazing. I am fascinated and awestruck.