Monday, November 09, 2009

In which I don't know anything about Toby, and for that I am glad

As "Jean" pointed out in the comments section of my last post, Toby Keith didn't actually write "American Ride." The song was written by Joe West and Dave Pahanish and recorded by Keith. I personally am not of the opinion that there is a great moral difference between writing offensive lyrics and hiring someone else to write them, any more than with other infractions. Nor am I particularly impressed with Keith for not writing the title track of his latest album.

However, I don't believe that this was really crucial to Jean's point, since she goes on to say, "[The song] tells it like it is. This is what the world is like." Apparently this information was merely a shot at my knowledge of Keith: "Obviously you don't know anything about Toby. You are just being ignorant."

Jean goes on to say, "I hate when people don't like a song and attack the person singing it." Now, Jean, this is not merely an ad hominem attack against a lousy recording artist. I didn't say "I don't like 'American Ride,' and Toby Keith is a poser tool in a cowboy hat." I mean, it's true the song does not meet any basic criterion for literature, but it does have a catchy beat, and I wasn't attacking it as a work of art, nor was I attacking Keith as an artist. I was noting through example that his songs are often ignorant, offensive, racist, and out of touch with reality.

Jean: I apologize for not being able to more adequately respond to your concerns. Perhaps I can provide a more thorough answer if you can address at least one of my points. As for your thanks to Toby, I'll be sure to pass them along next time we have lunch.

1 comment:

Natasha said...

Dear Jean,

I read a quote today and thought of you:

"To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant." -Amos Bronson Alcott

Yours Truly,
NWM