Monday, March 05, 2012

All the people who share my interests are hot women

Quick, imagine some nerdy gaming expert giving you the scoop on the next great video game.  What's he look like?

Some chubby dude with beady eyes, greasy hair, thick glasses, and a T-shirt that says something you don't get?


Them?


I keep seeing all these tech/gaming shows or clips in which some slim, long-haired, attractive young woman alternates between playing cutesy-naive and chatting about the latest nerd news, being sure to drop comments that assure us she's played the game.  And all I can do is stare incredulously, one eyebrow raised so I look like a stroke victim, thinking, this is not reality.

I'm not saying that people who are women, or people who are attractive, or people who are both, cannot be experts on tech and gaming.  (Though I'm not prepared to admit that I believe these hostesses are.)  I am saying that I feel this is not an accurate representation of the demographic.  Am I really to believe Attack of the Show's implicit claim that the majority of the people who share my interests are women who, when not playing Mass Effect, are posing for Maxim?  Or that at least two of their contributing reporters just happen to have posed for Playboy?  (No, those are not links to Playboy.)

I get that this is an attractive illusion, but does it really ring true for the audience?  Because me, I just feel a little insulted.  If I'm going to watch a show that purports to be "TV's only source for all the stuff I care about," I think there's a reasonable expectation that the host will look more or less like me.

On the other hand, I guess G4 doesn't want to be holding up a mirror to a bunch of gamers.  Because if I see a guy that looks like me reviewing Skyrim, I'm going to be thinking, "I need to turn off the X-Box and go for a run!"

Oh, and why is G4 covering the World Naked Bike Ride?  Does their audience care about it, or do they just care about Sara Underwood in pasties?  (Yes, that is a link to pictures of Sara Underwood in pasties.)

Finally, what's with Candace Bailey yelling out to the studio audience that she's a virgin?  Is that to connect with the target demographic?  Hype up her innocent, sexualized-yet-sexless persona?  An unscripted moment of truth?  Any sociologists up in here?

(Sorry, I couldn't find a video clip of the moment I'm referencing, though I did find the eight million ChaCha questions that nerds all over America submitted asking if it's true.)

*For the record, like most of G4's audience, I know Sara Underwood and Olivia Munn were in Playboy because I saw them on TV and Googled them--as opposed to knowing they're on TV from the reverse process.)

No comments: