Monday, January 28, 2008

Traces of high school

I'm feeling oddly pensive, and as a result you're going to get a rare look at the real me.
Nothing I write here is me. I used to be that annoying teenager who whined about his awful life on Xanga, but I wrapped that up and threw it away with the rest of who I used to be when my life was saved. That's a story for another time. And I know that's a misplaced modifier. I right chipper little thoughts about meaningless little thigns. Observations about things I don't really care about, because what I care about are individuals, and writing about individuals is generally not polite practice.
I feel like a child. Or rather, I feel childish, or at least as if everyone around me thinks I am. Part of it is earned: my parents treat me like a child because when I go home I spend my time picking fights, begging for money and failing to do whatever they ask of me. They probably think I'm a lost cause by now. Part of it is completely unfair: condescending peers who seem to think they have to tell me when to do what or how to treat whom, as if they're somehow better than me. And part of it is that same old social anxiety that's been with me all my life: the impression that everyone else is somehow taller than me and can see things I can't, and that I'm just running around on tiptoes pretending to be just as grown up as everyone else, like the 20 year old who gets drunk at family reunions because he thinks he's an adult now.
I usually tell myself that everyone sees the world that way, but I know that's not true. I'm surrounded by arrogance. And you might think that's the pot calling the kettle black, but (and I suppose this might be true of others) any arrogance I show is completely falsified, an overcompensation for a past of devastating self-loathing and utter depression that I am not remotely apologetic about avoiding. So unless everyone else is exactly like me, other people have (or think they have) it figured out. And since I don't, maybe I really am just a child to everyone else.
The ironic part is my reaction to being treated like a child is usually to get angry, throw a fit, sulk, rebel... generally, to act like a child. This part I know isn't unique to me. I see it in everyone I know... I'm just a little extra-sensative to all things involving how others see or behave towards me.
Am I weaker for talking about it?

No comments: