Friday, August 22, 2008

This was my 2am

I was finishing up some idle chatting via instant messenger about twenty minutes ago when, from outside, there came what I can only describe as a gunshot-like sound. I can only hope it was not that, but I can assure you it was some sort of explosive device, and definitely not a car backfiring. I will forever be mocked for typing "brb" (be right back) before I dove to the floor. If there was someone ending lives in the parking lot next door, then I, a potential witness, was clearly visible at my laptop in the living room, by the light of the lamp next to me.

I reached up and turned off the light, grabbed my computer and quickly made my way upstairs where, once I'd locked my door behind me, I placed my second lifetime 911 call (and the first one that wasn't due to something that was my fault). The operator sounded bored - either she was more confident than I was about things being okay, or she gets way too many calls about gunshots in Indianapolis. After making sure Casey was locked securely in her room (you know, in case someone's looking for witnesses), I went into the front room to watch the police activity.

What a joke. A police cruiser drove by once (maybe twice) without even slowing down, apparently to make sure there wasn't a dead body in the middle of the road. If there were someone dying in the parking lot, they would have gone entirely unnoticed.

I really, really wish the police had been more thorough in this case. Because when it became obvious they weren't going to, it became clear that I had to pick up the slack. I know everyone and his brother is thinking this was really stupid of me, but I went outside to check around. I really, really didn't want to, but I figured if I read about someone getting shot and bleeding to death right outside my house in the paper tomorrow, I'd know it was because I didn't do what I was supposed to do, and then I'd have to feel all guilty and stuff.

I didn't find anything suspicious. But then, I didn't exactly take my time out there (would you?), so I suppose I could still hear tomorrow about how I'm responsible for someone's death.

I'm going to bed.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Idle chit chat, eh?

Rude.

For this, I am taking over your iMac.