Monday, December 08, 2008

Concerning bailouts

I think I should just short-sell every company that has not yet declared bankruptcy or asked for a bailout.

Speaking of bailouts, I had to ask for a $135 one from my mom today to avoid an interest charge on my credit card. This is the latest development in a flip-flop from some conventional wisdom I had earlier in life: in previous years, I didn't let myself have much cash because I knew I would spend it. Now I find myself being much more careful with my cash than with my magic moneycard, so the latter payment method has been banished to a frozen existence.

You see that Visa*? That's what you get for taking my requested $250 limit and raising it to $3,800.

And still speaking of bailouts, if my math is correct, the $700 billion bailout to the financial industry could have been used to give each and every person in the United States $23,000. Talk about stimulating the economy... If we're going to come in and rescue institutions that have made terrible financial decisions and lost all their money, why aren't we willing to do this for individuals?

In fact, I think when I call my bank tomorrow to slip in my last-second payment, I'll ask about applying my share of the package.


*Actually, 1st Financial Bank USA is the responsible party.

1 comment:

TypeOneEric said...

I don't like bailouts at all. Where is my help when I need bailed out?