Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Bible lessons

The other night I told my host parents that anthropologists who study international power dynamics say that the United States is nearing the end of its hegemonic power and that there will be a new superpower within fifty years. My host mom replied, "But we know that's not true because the Bible tells us the United States will be the last great power before the end times."
Good point.

Skype is a funny thing. I don't think I'll ever stop making fun of the people who appear to be talking to their computers (and hearing responses). Especially when they say things like "You just shouldn't have gone to the bathroom."

I am a big fan of my new friends. Like John the fast-talking friendly guy from Wisconsin or Max the well-read political expert from New York. Or the one girl with long hair whose name I don't think I ever learned, but who I've known long enough that I shouldn't have to ask her name. I trust she doesn't read this.

A 6.7 earthquake rocked Mexico from Oaxaca to Veracruz this morning. Somehow it failed to wake me, and I remain highly disappointed.

No comments: