Thursday, February 28, 2008

Belated commentaries

Sebastian has started citing exact numbers of days since my last post, so I decided I should answer his accusations by returning to the blogosphere.

I often accuse Seb of seeing the world through Obama colored lenses, but I have to say that Clinton is starting to poli-tick me off. I'm just now catching Tuesday's MSNBC debate online, and she consistently uses the same lines which, in my (slightly more) unbiased opinion, are only diverting the conversation from the field of relevance. But who can blame here? Obama's winning there.

For example, she throws a fit about Obama's (true) claims that she wants to mandate the purchase of health insurance and keeps spouting out the (less clearly true) "15 million" claim, talking about people Obama will leave out. Then when they start going back and forth, she keeps repeating irrelevant claims like "Obama mandates health insurance for children." To which he responds, "Um, yes, I do. End of story."

As for the friendly debate in Texas versus the crazy mudslinging over the weekend, all I can say is Clinton is going negative and she's going hard. And I really don't think it's helping her with undecideds. She might be galvanizing her own forces, but she's certainly not swaying anyone from Obama. And as for those who haven't made up their minds, well, they don't like negativity.

One more thing: Clinton complains that she keeps getting the first question in the debates. In the Texas debate, at least, there was a coin toss. Obama won. It's not just the media... Obama clearly has God on his side.

More posts likely to follow as I continue to watch this stuff.

1 comment:

Sebastian T Brown said...

damn. this sebastian dude sounds like an asshole. anyway...i think you're right on about hillary. her attacks didn't work, especially against Obama who has time after time risen above the mudslinging and brought the debate back to its core: "most our policy positions are basically identical, that's not the issue. what is, is who has the best chance of actually bringing people together to go about enacting our similar plans." he's taking texas by 10% and losing Ohio by 3%. she'll then drop out.