Thursday, February 07, 2008

Huelga! Huelga!

I have been in Xalapa since Monday night and have yet to attend class. University classes are set to start up either the 12th or 18th (even Rob isn't sure), while classes at the School for Foreign Students (EEE) were to start today, with registration and testing and such taking place over the last couple days. However, the entire university is on strike, and the entrances to all UV buildings are blockaded.

As such, I have been spending a lot of time doing next to nothing.

Last night Sara Beth and I dragged Mark and Shawn, two of our Canadian compaƱeros from last semester, to a bar with a large part of our BCA group to watch the US vs. Mexico soccer match. Knowing our record of winning handily, I convinced Mark to put 50 pesos on Mexico. This would be the year they manage to bring the game to a tie.

It's all for the best. As we lead 2-1 going into the second half, it suddenly occurred to me that we were conspicuously American, sitting in a bar entirely surrounded by drunk and rowdy Mexicans, watching a game between our team and theirs. By the end of the night I was rooting loudly for Mexico, hoping it would save my life later. They all seemed pretty happy with the tie, though, so all was well.

After that I allowed myself to be dragged kicking and screaming to Boulevard 93, a terribly noisy, pricey, elitist and generally awful club. I did get to spend some time with a couple of friends I hadn't seen in a while, but when the moment presented itself (someone being too drunk to be trusted to get herself home) I grabbed my coat and tore out of there like... well, like me out of a club. Our taxi driver didn't seem too amused when she threw up all over his back seat, but he was a pretty good sport about it, considering. He charged her extra for the clean-up and told me that he would still probably lose out on the venture. As payment, I allowed him to over-charge me when we got to my house (it was not a 25 peso drive) and didn't say a word.

I still don't know what's going on today/tonight, if anything. I'm content to read a book or watch some TV, personally.

Peace.

1 comment:

Boot said...

Good times with puke...