Friday, May 16, 2008

Nothing relevant

I re-read my last post today - something that I should do more often, as I often find grammatical errors - and noticed that I used the phrase "supersonic speed" in reference to my reading. I thought this was funny because "supersonic" means "faster than the speed of sound." This is a slightly awkward phraseology* not only because sound has nothing to do with this, but because the speed of sound is a fixed velocity at which sound waves travel through space (specifically, a standard oxygen/nitrogen mix at 20 degrees Celsius). I don't think this is comparible to speed of reading comprehension, as the nerve impulses in my brain are traveling at the same 20-30 m/s as in any other brain. (Reading speeds, while measurable, will no doubt vary depending on word complexity and context.)

I think I'll stop there, because I'm starting to ask the question "what does move faster when I read?" Off the top of my head, I think I remember hearing that speed reading isn't about reading lines faster - it's about absorbing more words at the same time. However, this tangent could lead into some pointless research and distract me from my writing.

I am happy to report that there is one person that truly understands me. God bless you, Billy Joel. (I was surprised to learn that he's slightly younger than my dad).

*Immediately after using the word "phraseology," I looked it up to see if it was a real word. I am proud to report that it is.

No comments: