Thursday, May 15, 2008

Which language is funnier?

K-Cizzle seems to be giving me crap for writing too much about politics and not enough about me. I cannot resist, however, expressing my excitement about my main man's endorsement of my backup man. Click the link for a class-A speech by John Edwards. In other political news, the California supreme court today ruled that a state ban on gay marriage is unconstitutional. It has always been my stance that the nearly nationwide exclusion of gay couples from marriage is one of the most shameful bits of injustice still alive in our legislature, and I get pretty worked up about it. For a smile, imagine me cheering out loud when I saw the news on CNN and then explaining to my Jehova's Witness host family why I was so happy.

Okay. I'm sorry, Kacie. Both of those things made me really, really happy. That's something about me, isn't it?

Sebastian and Sara Beth (no link because she hasn't updated since Thanksgiving) have both commented to me in the past over the fact that our personalities are often different depending on what language we're speaking. For example, I am widely considered to be hilarious in English, while most Mexicans who know me think I'm pretty quiet (there are more extreme examples, but none of you know the guy and then I wouldn't be writing about me). But it's definitely true. My host family thinks I'm a quiet guy who's completely devoted to his studies. This is clearly not true, but it can be hard to crack jokes in your second language.

Prime example: I got my hair cut three months ago - a rather drastic change from my ponytail-length locks. My host mom, shocked, said, "¡Te cortaste el pelo!" ("You cut your hair!") I gave her my normal reply to this comment, introducing my old joke to a new language: "No, alguién más me lo hizo" ("No, somebody else did it for me"). She did not laugh.

I pushed the event to the back of my mind, so it was not until a long time later that I suddenly realized why the joke wasn't funny. "Te cortaste el pelo" does not only mean "you cut your hair." Those exact same words would also be the translation for "you got your hair cut" or "your hair was cut." The words do not automatically imply that I did the action - they could simply be a passive way of saying the action was done to me.

Humor, though, is the least of my worries when it comes to crossover between English and Spanish. I have concluded that reading is a real problem for me, and I think I know why: in English, I am more or less a speed reader. I'm not one of those freaks you see on TV waving his hand across a page and absorbing every word, but I find that when I hand someone else a paragraph to read, I can read it to myself four or five times (or more) while they work on it once. I cannot do this in Spanish - at least not yet. But my eyes expect my brain to snatch the words off the page at supersonic speed, so they scan rapidly across the lines and leave me having no idea what I just read. In other words, how I'm trained to read doesn't work with a second language. I literally have to go one word at a time, absorbing about three before my habits kick in and I start zipping across the page again. Then I go back and read the next three words. By the time I've done this a few times, I'm thinking so much about how I'm reading that I've forgotten what I already read.

It sounds funny, but this has been a real issue for me.

Finally, I suppose I should put some kind of personal update in here for people who want to know what I'm up to. As always, I'm watching TV, interspersed with occasional bars and internet cafés. I've been at least mildly depressed for a month or two, and I'm really just looking forward to coming home and spending an entire four days with my family before I head down to Indianapolis to work (this will more than likely result in more depression, since I'm spending half my summer living alone in a city where I don't really know anyone).

There might also be one or two things bringing me down that I haven't mentioned.

And on that note, I'm out.

EDIT: Thank you John (and I suppose Elaine, though I don't know you) for this. Laughing out loud in internet cafés does invite stares.

3 comments:

Kacie said...

Thanks babe! I love you and hope you are feeling better physically and emotionallly. I am working on making a trip to Indy this summer to see you, because I miss you! ;)

Unknown said...

1. I agree about the reading in another language. I read pretty quickly in English, but when I try to read Spanish my eyes go crazy and I am left at the end of the paragraph not comprehending anything.

2. Tedra lives in Indy. Bother her. And I'll be in Lafayette (only an hour away) maybe we can hang out sometime.

<3's

Lemisia said...

Thank you for the phone call the other night, it made me realize that I haven't been on here to read your blog in a while (nor to write in my own). So now I have done both. And now you know that you can bug me for your month of being alone in Indy since it is a total of 25 minutes for me to get to the peace house. Don't be depressed, you'll be home soon enough with all the people that love you, and you will have a wonderful summer, just you wait!