Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Some things, but not somethings

Forget Twenty Questions, this is Twenty Answers.  To questions you didn't ask, but if you were given the chance, you probably still wouldn't.
  1. I have begun using numbered lists in my e-mails in hopes that it will make it easier for my boss to address all my questions or concerns.
  2. It doesn't work.
  3. My neighbor has a guy friend over and I'm excited for her because this is the first evidence I've seen that she has friends.
  4. Also I found her name out by surreptitiously checking her mail.
  5. I sure hope she doesn't read my blog.
  6. She doesn't because nobody does except Bekah and, according to Google Analytics, somebody in the St. Louis area.
  7. Busted.
  8. I'm sorry if you are someone else and you read my blog.  I appreciate you but you don't comment.
  9. I got a Facebook message from a random person who paid $0.99 to download my ebook on Amazon.  She found it "obliquely interesting" and wanted to know if that was my intention.
  10. What author does not intend his or her work to be interesting?
  11. Also, is "obliquely interesting" a backhanded compliment?
  12. I think "backhanded compliment" should actually be "backhanded insult."  Or maybe just "oblique insult" since we're using that word now.
  13. My co-workers use the word "boff," which I suspect hasn't been common vernacular since 1992.
  14. I made a list of things to do today and ignored it.
  15. You should probably know your rights because nobody else is going to know them for you.
  16. For example, I got underpaid several times because nobody told me Earlham has a two-hour minimum pay when you get called in.
  17. I keep giving things away on Freecycle but I haven't actually taken anything yet.
  18. I think that makes it OK that I never bring food to carry-ins.
  19. They are called carry-ins, not potlucks, which should imply you can bring alcohol but it doesn't.
  20. This space intentionally left blank.

7 comments:

bekah said...

comment, comment, comment...

I feel a little special that I'm the only one that reads your blog. I also feel angry because it's funny and more people should read it.

Let's start a campaign.

it would be obliquely fun.

bekah said...

I read it out loud to Katie and Parker sometimes, does that count?

amy elizabeth said...

i totally read your blog. it's in my RSS though, so no Durham hits?

i'm drinking a peppermint mocha while i read it, that's a rare occurrence though. normally i drink caramel lattes.

Nico said...

Look at all these lovely comments.

@bekah: I agree, a campaign is in order. Also it makes me very happy to know you read my blog out loud.

@Amy: win! I don't think RSS registers hits but I'll have to look in to that. I read YOUR blog the same way.

Anonymous said...

1. How 'bout I punch Ms. Obliquely Interesting in the face?
2. I know we're a bunch of pacifists. But really. She obviously deserves it.
3. It's totally called a potluck.
4. I wonder who this creeper is in St. Louis.
5. My verification word to post this is "tokee".
6. "This bottle of Sprite looks like a pink roller rink in space."

Christen Pettit Miller said...

Umm...hello? Okay, you caught me, I've caught up on your blog after a hiatus...didn't know you were still blogging (I figure because I'm not blogging as much no one else is...)

And here's something interesting: the word verification to send this is "herpe."

WTF?

bemckimmy said...

I also read your blog now! Very interesting stuff. Makes me wish I hadn't stopped posting in mine.